Dressing well is about presenting your body in the best and most flattering way possible. Anything else is just costuming., It does not’t matter if you are Ectomorph Endomorph or Mesomorph(which will be covered in subsequent paragraphs) any of the category you fall in what really matters is you want to dress and you want to look good. Everyone irrespective of body type have that awesome set of clothing choice waiting to be used.
In the next 5 paragraphs will cover, knowing how to dress for your body type for men, tips to looking awesome and would also provide you’re basic knowledge on what to do and what to avoid as regards dressing to fit your body type.
Are you are Ectomorph Endomorph or Mesomorph? – we’ve got you’re covered.
When you look at your naked body in the mirror, what do you see?, unless you are the mimic octopus changes shape your body will fall into one of the three typical body shapes.
- Ectomorph: Ectomorphs find it almost hard to gain weight. They have a fast metabolism which burns up calories very quickly. Ectomorphs need a huge amount of calories in order to gain weight. Workouts should be short and intense focusing on big muscle groups. Supplements are definitely recommended. Ectomorphs should eat before bed to prevent muscle catabolism during the night. Generally, ectomorphs can lose fat very easily which makes cutting back to lean muscle easier for them.
Traits of an Ectomorph
- Small frame and bone structure
- Flat chest
- Small shoulders
- Tall (Can be short)
- Lightly muscled.
- Finds it hard to gain weight
- Fast metabolism
- Long arms and legs.
- Small joints/ boned.
- Small chest and buttocks.
- Linear physique – “ruler body shape”
An ectomorph is basically a typical skinny guy
2. Endomorph: Persons with soft round build of body and a high proportion of fat tissue. Are usually considered to be endomorphs. The endomorph body type is solid and are usually of a shorter build with thick arms and legs. Muscles are strong, especially the upper legs. Endomorphs find they are naturally strong in leg exercises like the squat.
Traits of an Endomorph
- Soft and round body
- Gains muscle and fat very easily
- Is generally short
- broad and sturdily built
- Round physique
- Finds it hard to lose fat
- Slow metabolism
- Muscles not so well-defined
- Good ability to gain muscle.
Typically, endomorphs are considered to be “stocky”
3. Mesomorph: A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. Gaining/losing weight is not an issue because of quick metabolism. They are naturally strong because Mesomorphs muscles are highly defined.
Traits of a Mesomorph
- Naturally lean.
- Naturally muscular.
- Mostly Strong
- Medium size joints/ bones.
- Wider at the shoulders than the hips – I.e. chest dominates over abdominal area.
- Broad/ square shoulders.
- Male mesomorph: V or rectangular shape.
Mesomorphs are generally considered to be toned
Reading the guidelines above, you’re should have been able to identify your body type. And if you’re’ve not kindly read the traits for each, that should be quick.
Now that you’re’ve identified your body type lets move on to revealing what clothing choice best suits you’re moving forward.
Clothing choice that suit Ectomorphs
The great thing for ectomorphs is that a lot of clothes are designed for builds just like yours, especially trendier items
- Wear crew necks: You want to avoid V-necks at all costs, particularly ones with a more drastic scoop. You’ve not got huge chest to show off and that’s ok – even if you’re did, I wouldn’t suggest showing them off. Crew necks give the appearance of squared shoulders and complement a narrower frame much better than scooped necks.
- Wear crew neck T-shirts /sweaters, avoid V-necks at all costs.
- A “Slim or trim fit suit”, a Sports jacket or a blazer: This is designed to make you’re appear polished. The best colors for a business suit are light Grey, tan, beige, and medium navy blue.
- Layer strategically: When it comes to dress shirts, go for a spread collar. It gives the illusion of wider shoulders and draws the eye horizontal instead of vertical.
- Anything with bold patterns or a lot of contrast will also add visual weight to your upper body (in a good way).
- Do Layer Up: By layer up, I don’t just mean chuck on three T-shirts, which will be wield especially in summer, two jumpers and a coat to make yourself look bigger. This is all about layering properly. The whole idea of layering is about making your outfit blend together naturally. Although it might sound like a strange way to stop you’re looking skinny, it should be a key part of your overall style.
- Trousers with a larger trouser cuffs can be used to your advantage: Ensure the trousers reach at least the top of the shoe.
- A slim and straight leg pant will keep you’re from looking too thin without swallowing you.
- Knickers are also great choice but it should be to fit and not cut edge I.e skinny.
- Straight leg/ Boot Cut jeans are the best for this body type: Ensure that the jeans fit well around the rear- creating the illusion of added weight and wider legs
Clothing choice that suit Endomorphs
Endomorphs might have it a little harder, but these tips should help.
- Wear a cloth that is not too big overlapping and you’re don’t want to wear a cloth too tight that it shows details of your shape
- Stick with vertical stripes and small prints/patterns, as larger ones will make you look bigger.
- Buy shirts labeled “tall”, which are usually available only in large or XL. If you’re are in that size group, then they will fit you well without being too big.
- Look for dress shirts with a standard or low point collar.
- In blazers and jackets, opt for more structured shoulders, as it draws the eye upward and balances out a heavy middle.
- Go for V-neck tops, this can help make double chins a little less noticeable.
- Avoid pleated trousers; go for a straight, relaxed fit in pants.
- If you’re are a pretty short man, make sure you find a tailor you trust to hem your pants for a proper length. Clothing choice that suit Endomorphs
- You can also go for knickers this has to be fitting and If the pants fit in the waist, but are busting at the seams at your thighs, buy a larger size that fits your thighs and have them taken in at the waist.
Clothing choice that suit Mesomorphs
Mesomorphs have an athletic physique that sometimes leaves your shoulders wide and your waist small (a V-shape), which makes it more difficult to find clothes that fit well.
- Choose tops/jackets with wide shoulders but a slim fit at the waist.
- Depending on how wide your shoulders are, best-case scenario might be for you’re to choose a regular/classic fit and have your tailor take in the waist.
- On dress shirts, a standard point collar will draw the eye vertically and small-medium sized patterns will flatter your athletic build.
- V-neck round neck? depending on your shoulders and pecs, go for body-hugging T-shirts.
- Straight legged pants will keep you’re streamlined and balance out your broad shoulders.
- Baggy or Cut edge shorts, any that suits your style
Warnings for all Body type
Though I’ve highlighted above several combinations that work for each body type, below I’d list some clothing choice to avoid. Note: Wearing clothes that are the right fit give every man a boost of confidence. Confidence is key, friends.
- Too short a jacket will make legs look longer
- Pinstripes and other vertical lines in shirts, trousers etc will only add height
- Fitting is very important- ensure there are no extra creases on the jacket and trousers.
- Turtle necks only elongate the body
- Dark colors will make you feel thinner- best to go for medium to light colors
- Avoid too tight clothes, Too-tight clothing just draws attention
- Don’t buy loose-fitting cloth to appear smaller
- Avoid bold patterns and contrasting colors
- Don’t buy turtlenecks as they can make your neckline disappear
- Avoid thicker fabrics. Cargo pants, hoodies with front pouches, and bulky sweaters can make you look bigger.
- Shoulder pads are generally a no.
Tips for all
- Don’t obsess about how you look. Confidence will make more of a difference in your appearance than a new wardrobe.
- Keep an eye on what’s fashionable. Wearing clothes that are in style now will make you look more attractive.
- Suspenders can keep your pants where they should be, not under a gut.
- Pay attention to the fitting.
To rocking the next Cover page of your local or International Magazine!
Now that was a lot. The biggest thing to take away from this is that I want men to feel great in whatever body shape you’re were blessed with. We want you’re to look good and feel awesome, And I hope this post have been able to clarify and shed some light on matters that relates to what the topic really is, at times I get carried away with fashion conversation.
Thanks for reading and if you’re ever have any questions that regards how to dress for body type for men, styling choice for men and any question that relates to this article, kindly leave a comment below and I will try to provide guidance as I see them.